History

  • The Frederick Fire Department was first organized around 1915. We had eight volunteers.
  • In 1976, the residents of a nine-square mile area voted to form the Frederick Area Fire Protection District. The District was formed to provide services that could be supported with property taxes collected from residents that lived within the boundaries.
  • In 1988, the District hired its first full-time employee whose job was to maintain the equipment, housekeeping, conducting fire prevention classes and business fire inspections, and record keeping.
  • In 1998, the District expanded to three full-time employees with each working a 24/7 shift on a rotating basis.
  • In 2000 the District expanded its full-time employee base to six allowing for two firefighter per each 24-hour shift.
  • On February 2, 2001, the District Court approved the changing of the Fire District's name to Frederick-Firestone Fire Protection District.
  • In 2006 Frederick-Firestone Fire takes over Tri-Area Ambulance to provide advance life support transport services to the community.
  • Today this District has four stations and provides fire suppression, fire prevention, public education, technical rescue, water & ice rescue, hazardous material response, community risk reduction, emergency management, and advanced life support (ALS) emergency medical transport services within its boundaries.


Historical photo shows a group of firefighters survey the damage of a building that had caught fire.
St Theresa Catholic Church in downtown Frederick caught fire on May 7, 2019
Frederick-Firestone Fire District Color Guard lines up to pay tribute at the Honor Flight